• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Gear Mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyd

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
Hello Tekno Forum,
I am Setting gear mesh for the first time and wondering if this looks correct or am I way off. Truck is relatively quiet and very smooth without pinion. And with metal spur and pinion set shown in pictures it runs smooth. Sound is consistent...not grinding or binding. Not really sure what I am after. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 97
Looks good. Good first set. Run and watch it. I set by sound, just a tad of play that clicks when rocking it. Takes time and experience. Hard to tell by pic's Could be a bit loose, not sure. Thickness of paper can give different results. Not to loose or to tight. Play with it and see how it feels.

Looks good. Good first set. Run and watch it. I set by sound, just a tad of play that clicks when rocking it. Takes time and experience. Hard to tell by pic's Could be a bit loose, not sure. Thickness of paper can give different results. Not to loose or to tight. Play with it and see how it feels.
Thanks Sandblaster....charging a battery now!!

For 48P gears I like to use scotch tape (the cheaper and thinner the better)
For 32P gears I like to use notebook paper (thinner is better)
For Mod 1 gears I like to use a blue shop towel (perfect thickness where notebook paper is too thin)

VERY important to use thread lock (TL) on all screws, preferably a gel based TL where I prefer VibraTite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RMTK6I

I think you have gotten a bunch of good suggestions already and my only addition would be to set mesh, tighten all the mount bolts and then loosen and apply locktite to one bolt at a time so the mount doesn’t shift. Once done recheck your gear mesh and wait 24hrs before running.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Tested a bit in backyard (2S ,3200KV,13T) with the time I had and am comfortable with the mesh. WOWWWW....this is going to be more fun than I imagined. Moving up from a heavily used/almost dead Tamiya Hotshot and I think I am only beginning to appreciate the build. This was most clear when I was testing the steering and tracking. I tuned steering following Billl DeLong's suggestions (why 3 L's?) from another post. Center the Ackerman by adjusting servo link first.....then match steering linkages. I understand now and it steers and tracks very well!
Truck is 8.25 lbs. (SCT converted to DB48). Motor is 3200KV SCT with 13T Pinion. I've only tested in good size yard and the truck halls (2S). I have a 3S battery and am now wondering if 2S is to much. Any thoughts on whether I should be looking into tuning the ESC (throttle curve, punch, power) or just send it and learn?

For 48P gears I like to use scotch tape (the cheaper and thinner the better)
For 32P gears I like to use notebook paper (thinner is better)
For Mod 1 gears I like to use a blue shop towel (perfect thickness where notebook paper is too thin)

VERY important to use thread lock (TL) on all screws, preferably a gel based TL where I prefer VibraTite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RMTK6I
Thanks Billl...I have a transmission with 48P gears I haven't mounted yet and would not have thought to go thin....makes sense.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Tested a bit in backyard (2S ,3200KV,13T) with the time I had and am comfortable with the mesh. WOWWWW....this is going to be more fun than I imagined. Moving up from a heavily used/almost dead Tamiya Hotshot and I think I am only beginning to appreciate the build. This was most clear when I was testing the steering and tracking. I tuned steering following Billl DeLong's suggestions (why 3 L's?) from another post. Center the Ackerman by adjusting servo link first.....then match steering linkages. I understand now and it steers and tracks very well!
Truck is 8.25 lbs. (SCT converted to DB48). Motor is 3200KV SCT with 13T Pinion. I've only tested in good size yard and the truck halls (2S). I have a 3S battery and am now wondering if 2S is to much. Any thoughts on whether I should be looking into tuning the ESC (throttle curve, punch, power) or just send it and learn?

Technically 4 "L"'s on my screen name, but yeah I asked Woody to capitalize the L in my last name with a space between names and he typo'd my first name, ha!

I would only adjust throttle curve if you're trying to address a problem, such as too many wheelies or car spinning out on corner exit.

Not sure if 24 hours is necessary for gel based thread lock, I often don't wait for it to dry at all and haven't had any issues yet (with gel)

Good Luck!

Recent Popular Liked

Back