• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Electronics question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennie98

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
Driving Style
Basher
I built my mt410 a while ago, but i finally got my electronics to put in there.
However, I have some questions for placement.

I bought the hobbywing Xerun 150A esc + 2250 kv combo.
It's a big esc. And i was wondering something for the placement. How do you mount it? I know you can attach it to the esc plate from tekno.
But would you place the esc on the plate it comes with first, or don't bother? Could it have it's advantages with regards to being an extra shock absorber?
Or is it useless, and would I just need to place it on the tekno plate?

Also, which kind of connectors are people using here?
My batteries and all my other cars are running the new kind of deans which have something to hold on to instead of the regular deans which don't.
However I would like to use the xt150's since they are easy for putting batteries in serie.
But my Tamiya hardly has any place to put the battery in the battery compartment. So if I change all my batteries to that it won't fit anymore.
Is anyone else running deans on this kind of setup? What are your experiences?
Would you suggest changing to something else? Maybe the xt90's, but those are also a bit big to fit in my Tamiya.

I appreciate the input.

Dont use the plate that the ESC came with. Some use ,velcro, double sticky tape, zip ties or a combination of zip ties and one of the other two. I personally use double sticky tape (adds a little cushion under it too) then zip tie the esc to the plate.

As for battery connectors, I would not use deans if it were me, I have just seen them fail too many times. I use XT90's and they are perfect for my needs, but I run my setup on 4s. If you are planning to use 6s you may want to step it up to xt150's.

I might be using 6S occasionally; so I will go for xt-150's I think. I just wonder if they stay seated when bashing. I wouldn't want them to come undone.

I might be using 6S occasionally; so I will go for xt-150's I think. I just wonder if they stay seated when bashing. I wouldn't want them to come undone.

I strap the connection point under the battery straps personally. This keeps the wires from from bouncing around inside and keeps them connected. Although I don't think they would come disconnected very easily if you didn't strap them down. Maybe after a serious hit they would come loose but those XT connectors tend to hold pretty tight. You can also expand the male pin to make a snugger fit.

Are melting deans connectors a reasonable worry? I always debated having gone with something different. Also on 4s and didn’t realize melting was the issue

Are melting deans connectors a reasonable worry? I always debated having gone with something different. Also on 4s and didn’t realize melting was the issue

I have seen it happen to others and have had it happen to myself. It really does depend on the setup and electronics used along with your driving style a bit. It's about the amp draw being pulled and the connection/solder points getting too hot. Deans don't tend to stand up to the higher powered brushless systems when running 4s or more in my experience.

It only takes one time for this to happen to really shorten up your track day. Personally I don't get out to the track as much as I want so I prefer to spend my time there running my car not fixing it.

XT150? is the XT90 not enough? I do not want my connections to melt as deans,
It is enough. The only reason I would go for xt150's is the ease for it to connect multiple batteries in series. You don't need a splitter in between the batteries and the esc.

How do you attach the xt150 connectors?

It seems like the battery plus would be the male (red) and the minus would be female (black) and then the esc should be plus female (red) and minus male (black). Can someone verify this?

Although, when I search on google for xt150 battery, it shows both plugs on the battery as female. man this is weird.. ^^

With other connectors the battery is usually female and the ESCs are male. The reason is so you don't have an accident by touching exposed connectors with power running through them.

With the XT150 connectors I doubt it would matter how you install them since the metal connection is incased on both ends.

That's what I thought as well. But I guess manufacturers that make batteries with this kind of connector should have some kind of rule for it?
Else, if I would buy a battery like that, it could be that I have to desolder and resolder the connections.

That's what I thought as well. But I guess manufacturers that make batteries with this kind of connector should have some kind of rule for it?
Else, if I would buy a battery like that, it could be that I have to desolder and resolder the connections.

If I can't get the battery I want with the connectors I use on it then that's exactly what I do, swap them out. Just make sure that you don't cross the connections while doing the procedure.

I know, I just did it like Vas from Aussie RC Playground did it on his video. It seems alright.
And like you said, I can always swap the connectors when I buy a battery.

I use XT90's and they are perfect for my needs, but I run my setup on 4s. If you are planning to use 6s you may want to step it up to xt150's.

The same motor draws less amps on 6S than on 4S, so there's no need for a better connector in that case. The XT90 can handle 2 or even 3 times its rated current (see YouTube video) so it's suitable for pretty much any 1/8 scale setup.

I'd only get the XT150 to run batteries in series, to easily bridge them together with the minimal amount of current loss.

But personally I don't like the idea of using batteries in series. You should charge and use them together to make sure they age in the same way. So why not use a single pack in the first place...

good advice, i only went for those to put batteries in series. but a single battery won't be for the near future, I have 2 2S batteries, so I will be using those. But beefy connector, I like them anyway :)

Recent Popular Liked

Back