• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Eb48.3 spur gear problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VRC

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question/problem that I need help with that maybe someone has solved. I own an eb48.3 that I mostly bash with. Set up small tracks in backyard and anywhere else I can run. I live in the Reno Tahoe area and it is all kinds of rocky here. Small, big and everything in between. My problem is I keep getting small rocks that are going under the spur gear and chewing it up. I’ve tried a few things to help with it but nothing has been really good. So besides those chassis covers. Has anybody come up with a good solution that they have found that works for this that may of had the same problem?

Thnx...

Hello,
I have a question/problem that I need help with that maybe someone has solved. I own an eb48.3 that I mostly bash with. Set up small tracks in backyard and anywhere else I can run. I live in the Reno Tahoe area and it is all kinds of rocky here. Small, big and everything in between. My problem is I keep getting small rocks that are going under the spur gear and chewing it up. I’ve tried a few things to help with it but nothing has been really good. So besides those chassis covers. Has anybody come up with a good solution that they have found that works for this that may of had the same problem?

Thnx...
Try to 3D print diff guards. Those ones fit tekno 1/8.

Picture found on a Facebook post.

E8232A09-CDDB-406C-958F-99E8D75AE0DC.jpeg

Try to 3D print diff guards. Those ones fit tekno 1/8.

Picture found on a Facebook post.

View attachment 5523
Mann I've been long wondering how come no one had designed a 3d printed pinion and spur cover for de Tekno's. These should be readily available. Good data @Nicochau . Just found it in thingyverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3346198
@VRC regarding your issue, a simple solution that might work, if you don't have a 3d printer or nowhere to print near by, could be to cut out a front mudguard out of lexan going from the base of the chassis to the underside of the body. I am considering to do this on my almost finished ET48.3 for which I want to try and avoid such problem before hand. Will need to cut out an opening for the servo horn and tie rod to pass through it. The mud guard could go between the steering rack to the front and the servo case and battery tray to the back. Fixing the piece could be done by bending out a piece of the lexan mud guard and screwing it together with the center screw of the steering plate. Then some double sided tape on the base of the servo case and the battery tray and that should be enough to hold it in place.
I haven't done it but been thinking about it the past few days.
Might be worth trying, doesn't seem to be a difficult piece to make once you sketch out a good cardboard template.

Mann I've been long wondering how come no one had designed a 3d printed pinion and spur cover for de Tekno's. These should be readily available. Good data @Nicochau . Just found it in thingyverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3346198
@VRC regarding your issue, a simple solution that might work, if you don't have a 3d printer or nowhere to print near by, could be to cut out a front mudguard out of lexan going from the base of the chassis to the underside of the body. I am considering to do this on my almost finished ET48.3 for which I want to try and avoid such problem before hand. Will need to cut out an opening for the servo horn and tie rod to pass through it. The mud guard could go between the steering rack to the front and the servo case and battery tray to the back. Fixing the piece could be done by bending out a piece of the lexan mud guard and screwing it together with the center screw of the steering plate. Then some double sided tape on the base of the servo case and the battery tray and that should be enough to hold it in place.
I haven't done it but been thinking about it the past few days.
Might be worth trying, doesn't seem to be a difficult piece to make once you sketch out a good cardboard template.
That would be awesome. Arrma has such guards on all their models.

Greetings

Yes indeed this is annoying and I'm also curious as to how the new part improves the problem, but I no longer have a dog in this race.

After each desert track session costing me about $100 in parts, I gave up and converted the DB-48 into a grass racer. As much as I like the Tekno, it's not up to the task of our desert racing. As a grass racer, the Tekno can be a Tekno and showcase the precision handling and performance that they have built their name on. On our desert tracks, it's tricky to get more than two laps done without jamming up the drive train.

A slot underneath the spur gear will help, and this guard might also. It still won't solve the rocks getting jammed between the battery and ESC, grinding or locking your front drive shaft. I think to solve this, you need the slot underneath the spur gear, and then a well-fitted dust bag over the entire chassis. In our temperatures of the Southwest, it's not going to work. This sucks because the Tekno suspension is superb.

Snap my fingers and build the Tekno on the Team Associated chassis layout, and it would be the benchmark for desert racers.

I'm very happy with mine as a grass racer now, and I'm really enjoying the handling. It's fast and nimble, and then Tekin motor gives explosive speed.

Topic drift....

I feel the term "Desert Buggy" is loosely thrown around, but if you look at many of the Rock Racing tracks in So Cal ( which was the birth place of the DB-48 ), those are groomed tracks with some built rock features. As Bill noted, track prep can help reduce the number of loose rocks on the course, but then you have a track and not the desert, and there is a considerable difference.

Oscar jut posted some videos on IG from his U4 Rock Race last weekend, and while it's pretty blown out and dusty, there are very few loose rocks. Some water and that would be an awesome and fast track.

We are building a new desert track, and there is no way to remove the rocks ( nor do we want to ). Raking them aside leaves dust and smaller rocks, and after a dozen or so laps, the dust and dirt is blown out and you uncover the next layer of rocks. That's the composition of the Mojave Desert; rock, sand, dust, and a small bit of dirt, then more rock. We remove the larger A-Arm-shattering rocks but anything walnut-sized and smaller stays.

This is a desert track, and the Nomad is a true desert buggy. That said, I really struggled with the wide stance these beadlocks require, and I switched to a much narrower setup and taller tire.

Anyhow, just my take on the situation.

Desert Track.jpg

Tekno Paint.jpg

USD Sticky 128.jpg

Greetings

Yes indeed this is annoying and I'm also curious as to how the new part improves the problem, but I no longer have a dog in this race.

After each desert track session costing me about $100 in parts, I gave up and converted the DB-48 into a grass racer. As much as I like the Tekno, it's not up to the task of our desert racing. As a grass racer, the Tekno can be a Tekno and showcase the precision handling and performance that they have built their name on. On our desert tracks, it's tricky to get more than two laps done without jamming up the drive train.

A slot underneath the spur gear will help, and this guard might also. It still won't solve the rocks getting jammed between the battery and ESC, grinding or locking your front drive shaft. I think to solve this, you need the slot underneath the spur gear, and then a well-fitted dust bag over the entire chassis. In our temperatures of the Southwest, it's not going to work. This sucks because the Tekno suspension is superb.

Snap my fingers and build the Tekno on the Team Associated chassis layout, and it would be the benchmark for desert racers.

I'm very happy with mine as a grass racer now, and I'm really enjoying the handling. It's fast and nimble, and then Tekin motor gives explosive speed.

Topic drift....

I feel the term "Desert Buggy" is loosely thrown around, but if you look at many of the Rock Racing tracks in So Cal ( which was the birth place of the DB-48 ), those are groomed tracks with some built rock features. As Bill noted, track prep can help reduce the number of loose rocks on the course, but then you have a track and not the desert, and there is a considerable difference.

Oscar jut posted some videos on IG from his U4 Rock Race last weekend, and while it's pretty blown out and dusty, there are very few loose rocks. Some water and that would be an awesome and fast track.

We are building a new desert track, and there is no way to remove the rocks ( nor do we want to ). Raking them aside leaves dust and smaller rocks, and after a dozen or so laps, the dust and dirt is blown out and you uncover the next layer of rocks. That's the composition of the Mojave Desert; rock, sand, dust, and a small bit of dirt, then more rock. We remove the larger A-Arm-shattering rocks but anything walnut-sized and smaller stays.

This is a desert track, and the Nomad is a true desert buggy. That said, I really struggled with the wide stance these beadlocks require, and I switched to a much narrower setup and taller tire.

Anyhow, just my take on the situation.

View attachment 5536

View attachment 5537
View attachment 5538
Steve b . I’m in the same situation regarding rocks and loose dirt. There’s no way to get rid of it around Here. Also, there is no grass around me to drive on. I am pretty determined to figure this out as like you said. These Tekno are really nice to drive and tough. What are the widest tires you were able to fit on your db?

VRC,

I mounted up beadlock wheels with Vanquish SLW hub extenders. There are so many 2.2 tires to choose from and the ability to clean and tune the foams was the main driver. Getting small bits of rock and dirt in the tire will ruin the foams quickly, so that was the thought process.

Here is a photo with the wheel and tire setup. I have 6 sets of Vanquish wheels with different tires, but these were just for the initial testing, and I was very pleased with the results. They are Pit Bull Rock Beast knockoffs. Interesting, they are a harder rubber than the real Rock Beasts, and handle the dirt track conditions exceedingly well.

ET Fit 1.jpg
DT-48 Gravel Track 2.jpg

s

Recent Popular Liked

Back