• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

DB48 ESC and Motor Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBuzz

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
I am just setting up a short wheelbase DB48 but not sure which ESC and Motor to go with.

I have a few ideas but not 100% sure which is best, here is the ESC’s I have thought of using, I will only be running 4s

Mamba Monster X
Mamba X
Sidewinder 8
Hobbywing XR8 both SCT and Plus
Hobbywing Max8

As for motors it would either be a 1415 or 1515 size motor, around 2200kv

I've had really good luck with HobbyWing, and I would go with a waterproof sensorless setup to have fewer issues down the road.

Any can size around 4268 would be ideal for 4S and up to 2600KV if you plan to do mostly speed runs, but 1900KV will be better if you plan to drive on a prepped track with high grip conditions and large jumps.

Hey @MikeBuzz

I have 2 x EB48.4, 1 x EB48.2 turned 1/8 SCT and an ET48.3. All 1/8 scale tekno with all sorts of electronics and ESCs:
  • Castle Mamba X with sensored SMC 1900kv motor. Great combo! Not meant for brute power, very controllable, great feel, super power efficient for long runs/races on 4s
  • Castle Mamba Monster X with non-sensored 2000kv Truggy can. Great reactivity, great power.
  • Tekin Rx8 Gen3 + sensored 2000kv truggy can. Amazing power, control, efficiency.
  • BLX185 combo (rebadge of HW QuicRun 150A). Lame reactivity and feel. Weak BEC at 3A makes all servo feel tamed.
My 2 cts:
  • love Castle and the features for money. 8A BEC, waterproof, great feel and power. Love the fact that you can run it sensored.
  • Tekin: the best at a cost...
  • BLX185: wouldn't do it again, a Tekno deserves better
  • I look for efficiency and controlled temps. Will race almost a full pack non-stop. Would not go above 2000kv.
  • I don't see much difference between a $80 race motor (sensored SMC, Hobbystar 42xx) and a $160 brand motor (Tekin T8). Even $40 ebay motors are not bad. Keeping your motor clean with fresh bearings makes the difference.
  • Would go sensored (no question) for anything that requires fine control, whether it is racing or rock crawling
My next try: HW XR8 SCT (best bang for the buck? Heard great things about it)

I will have to agree nicochau. I also love castle Esc’s and have 4 of them. Both the mamba x and mamba monster x can run sensored or sensorless motors.

But what I love the most is they both work with the BT castle link module. With a free app on your phone there is a lot of adjustments you can make. Also it is small ang you can leave it in the receiver box and make adjustments on the fly wile you get the set up that works the best

thanks for the input, I have had a look online and seems most places in EU are very limited on stock, I have found the following prices available

Hobbywing XR8 SCT Pro ESC - Black XERUN 4268SD motor 2200kv £193

Castle Mamba Monster x 1/8 Brushless Combo 2200KV Motor Sensored £288

Hobbywing EzRun Max8 V3 150A Brushless ESC with 4274 2200KV Motor £167

not sure the mmx is worth the extra

Last edited:
Having looked around at more options I think what I might do is get the MMX as stand alone ESC and then buy the following

SURPASSHOBBY Rocket 4274 V2 2200KV Sensored Brushless Motor for 1/8 RC Off-road Car £63

anyone ever used one of these motors?

Having looked around at more options I think what I might do is get the MMX as stand alone ESC and then buy the following

SURPASSHOBBY Rocket 4274 V2 2200KV Sensored Brushless Motor for 1/8 RC Off-road Car £63

anyone ever used one of these motors?

I can get the above or the mamba x with 1415 2400kv for same price, not sure which is best to go with

Just needed to find stock now :confused:

I'm following this build as well. I'm on the fence on motors. I might follow your lead for 4s

s

Are the motor mounts in both the SCT410 and EB & ET all the same?

Are the motor mounts in both the SCT410 and EB & ET all the same?

to answer my own question it seem the standard mount that comes with the SCT is a LCG version

will need TKR5211X to fit over the side pods

Recent Popular Liked

Back