• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Budget friendly 1/8 motor/esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAVERICK

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
So I have fought the tekno bug and in the past year acquired 3 of them.

I have taken all the high end electronics Tekin/ castle out of my other 1/8 rigs and now need some replacement el

these are mostly my sons rigs and DONT get driven very hard. I can not justify spending 200$$ on a motor/ESC combo.

anyone had any luck with some lower end electronics. Keep in mind they are 1/8 scale 4WD truggy / monster truck that weigh in at 12 lbs

Best deal on the net right here, I order from Banggood all the time and they usually take around 2-3 weeks to get my parts from them:
https://www.banggood.com/SURPASS-HO...-p-1711332.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Be sure to check temps, Surpass Hobby is similar to HobbyWing, but uses lower quality components, provided you take care of the electronics they should last a reasonable amount of time.

What gearing for upgraded electronics?

I have not ran this particular 1/8 combo that I linked above, but I have had really good luck with Surpass Hobby motors in my 4WD SCT and 1/10 Mini Truggy classes, plus I have raced with a Surpass Hobby ESC/Motor Combo in my 1/10 TC car many years ago (the combo lasted 2 years before I sold the car with the electronics), only reason I didn't stay with their ESC's is because I need more tuning options for club racing. Their motors are every bit as good any name brand.

Last edited:
Best combo on 4s is HobbyWing xr8 SCT with a cheap ebay motor. The ESC is at $100 from FierceSolutions.

Surpass / Hobbystar / others sell decent motors for cheap on ebay. You can get a non-sensored for $35 to $45.

Thanks guys

This is what I was looking for. I have dropped some serious $$ into the hobby in the past 6 months but my kids love playing with there r/c’s. Can’t lie so do I

so with the lock down, no sports, and no school it’s one of the only things the kids still get excited about. But keeping 12 rigs up and running it’s starting to bleed me dry

I'll quickly ask here to avoid a thread.

I've come by an xr8 sct and 4268 1900kv motor.

It's currently soldered up and an immediate spare for my eb48 which is running the xr8 plus but same motor.

I'm tempted to build another buggy for bashing over Christmas. Either a mt410 or ET48. Hopefully the newer version of both if they arrive pre Christmas.

Would this setup work reasonably well in either of these cars?

No a 4268 can is for a buggy, you'll want a 4274 can for either the truggy or the MT410. The 4076 can that I linked above would also be suitable.

You can probably get away with it in the MT410, but it won't offer as much torque/acceleration and will feel sluggish and be more likely to overheat, but if you gear it properly it is technically "doable" but will limit performance compared to a 4274 or 4076 can. It all comes down to the mass of the magnet for the rotor where length of the can is more significant than the diameter in terms of the rotor size/mass. I've even ran a 3674 can in a truck that was the equivalent to an MT410 and it did perfectly fine:

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back