• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Boycott Traxxas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escobear

Reaction score
Has anyone else about had it with Traxxas and the patent trolling? They go around suing companies that compete against them and the RC hobby is already suffering enough, why hurt it even more?

Take for example the lawsuit against the arrma nero, because they had laydown shocks traxxas sues them. traxxas didn't even invent the lay down shock design, it's been in rc designs since at least the 80s - long before the revo came about. tamiya and schumacher and others had laydown shocks.

traxxas isn't exactly the golden child either, the guy from ultimate rc made called the chimera that used a short course frame with bigger tires and summit body. Years later traxxas releases the telluride - a nearly exact replica.

the t-maxx was great stuff when it was first released many many moons ago but since then i've been highly un-impressed with what traxxas has "produced" and their patent trolling is only adding to my dislike for them.

maybe it is time to boycott traxxas?

Been talked about numerous times. From what I see, the people saying 'boycott Traxxas' are the people who don't generally buy their products anyways. And the people who do buy Traxxas religiously, aren't going to boycott because of a patent issue with a brand they don't own (such as the Arrma thing). So really I don't see there being much affected. I have 2 Traxxas vehicles. I like them. I also have an Arrma (had few). I don't think some of Traxxas business practices are the best for the hobby, but that is how things go in the corporate world. So at the end of the day, I just buy the best vehicle that suits what I'm looking for and do my thing. Just my opinion.

And you are happy to have fewer choices of vehicles because of Traxxas killing off the competition. Correct?

Of course not, but it doesn't matter what I think. If Traxxas is able to sue over something by law, then it is what it is. I was a big Durango fan (as were many) and they went away on their own, which left people in the same position that Nero owners are in. So I can't blame potential buyers for buying a Traxxas if they feel like they are buying a vehicle that will still be around, have parts available etc.

...From what I see, the people saying 'boycott Traxxas' are the people who don't generally buy their products anyways....

I hear you... and would tend to agree that "generally" most folks tend to stick with basher grade or race grade and don't typically support multiple brands, but there is an exception for the Spec Slash class and that's been one of my favorite classes to race for many years... I would consider myself a former Traxxas Fan Boy who once vigilantly recommended the class to new racers joining our club, but I have chosen to boycott Traxxas after Hobbico went bankrupt... that was the final straw for me personally, more on my reasons here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

I wouldn't say that I'm an activist against Traxxas, but they are definitely not a brand that I promote anymore, when new folks show up to the track, I only recommend they buy a used race grade and steer them toward any other class that is not Spec Slash :(
If someone directly asks me what I think about Traxxas, then I'll explain my concerns that I just linked.

Last edited:
All fair points. Like I said, I don't support their decision to do that, but if they are legally able to do it, that is the business world. Out of my control. I run multiple brands (Traxxas and Arrma included). But at the end of the day, with some of the lesser-known brands, you never know what will happen. And Traxxas has a big enough following that I just don't see a boycott effecting them. So in saying that, I am not saying I'd never buy another one of their vehicles. But I really have no need for another basher (and I don't run their stuff for racing). I just buy the vehicle that best fits my needs and let the corporate stuff play out how it is going to play out. I don't stress it.

...Traxxas has a big enough following that I just don't see a boycott effecting them...

I tend to agree with you, but it makes me feel better that none of my money is supporting Traxxas, at least for now.... if they ever decide to go back to their roots and stop filing frivolous lawsuits, then I might reconsider supporting them again someday.

I tend to agree with you, but it makes me feel better that none of my money is supporting Traxxas, at least for now.... if they ever decide to go back to their roots and stop filing frivolous lawsuits, then I might reconsider supporting them again someday.
For sure. And much like you, Tekno is a brand that has really impressed me. So obviously that is where I'd rather be putting my money anyways. As far as bashing, I really like my Arrma and I hope that brand gets going and continues to grow. So not sitting here trying to be a Traxxas fanboy, I just think it is what it is. The new Erevo would still be near the top of my list for bashers if I was in the market. But I would probably still lean towards an Arrma or the Proline MT over it.

I don't think a boycott would do much either, anyone whom is into the better class RC stuff isn't going to buy Traxxas anyway, and tons of people are still going to buy them because they're available everywhere and won't care about shady practices. there is very little loyalty or morals anymore, everyone just wants the best bang for their buck nowadays.
There are companies out there that are even worse, they do nothing but patent Troll and don't make anything. They have zero intention of actually manufacturing anything, they file a patent based on an idea and their entire existence is based on making money by suing other companies for infringing on their patents later. it's absolutely ridiculous. if i made the laws i'd say a patent cannot be kept if there is zero product manufactured using it, by like 2 years at the most, then it becomes invalid.
That is kind of crazy that they would say they invented RC cantilever suspension. I'm sure they just threw their own little minor details on it and said "we invented that mount point" or something ridiculous. That kind of makes me want to never buy a Traxxas again even though I already won't.
I consider traxxas halfway in between toy grade and hobby grade. they are great starting out with but will leave you wanting more once they start to suck your wallet dry, and once you discover the competition class stuff, you'll forget all about Traxxas. Though its the main bread of butter of my LHS unfortunately. Traxxas has become a household name...

On another forum, someone posted some of the things Arrma was being sued over. Even the way the 1/8 vehicles (V1 &2) had their waterproof reciever box, 'infringed' on a Traxxas patent. Pretty ridiculous. But like I said, business world can be brutal and petty. I totally get it if ppl choose not to spend money on that brand. Just cant imagine that any movement would really change things.

Traxxas reminds me of the rich kid on the block who buys everything rather creating something and then thinks he’s something. This same kid will take his ball and go home when he loses lol

I can't say I've ever been a real fan boy of Traxxas. I get most annoyed by all their "new" trucks that are either the slash or stampede with a new body on it and suddenly they have a "new" truck. No, it's the same RC with another body. I do agree their patent trolling over lay down shocks is a load of crap as well but there isn't much we can do about that now.

That said I agree with what others have already said, those that would boycott Traxxas, probably isn't going to buy them anyways. The people that do buy Traxxas really don't careless and most likely not interested in buying other brands for a number of reasons. One of which is readily available parts typically found in every single hobby shop.

Luckily for everyone that's in the hobby, there are other very worthy brands to select from other than Traxxas if you so choose - well at least for now.

I disagree with the Traxxas lawsuits as well, but I did end up picking up a TRX4 Bronco. It's my first and only Traxxas. I have the other major scale crawler trucks, and I like variety... so the TRX4 was on the list. The HPI Venture is the only one I haven't picked up yet.

Having owned a brushed Stampede many years ago, when I decided to get back into the hobby I naturally went looking for a Traxxas. I wanted a e-revo 1/8th scale, brushless of course. After many hours of Google and countless threads/stories on Traxxas, I saw a trend and how Traxxas was bullying smaller companies to dominate the market. One of these companies was/is Arrma, so I began to research Arrma. Long story short...I will never buy any Traxxas products and ended up getting a Kraton, a Nero, and a Granite. Next on my list is a Tekno et48 :p

I love my arrma’s and mt410. I have to admit that I just bought my son a slash with on board audio for $180. It was a good deal. My son loves the sound. I’m aware that there are many rc’s With much better value as far as durability. My 6 year old REALLY loves the on board audio. He would rather drive his slash over my mt410 all day.

See thats why Traxxas is such a big dawg in this industry...they know how to market their products very well.

It is sad to say that we live in a time that with the right marketing you can probably sell water to a fish!

See thats why Traxxas is such a big dawg in this industry...they know how to market their products very well.

It is sad to say that we live in a time that with the right marketing you can probably sell water to a fish!
True but I also look at it this way..People like us on the Tekno forum are into RCs on pretty serious level (fair assessment, I'd say). The majority of people are not. A lot of my friends think my RCs are cool but probably not to the level of time/financial commitment to buy a Tekno. So instead if they can get a fast truck that is put together, and get parts anywhere. That is much more attractive to them, as casual enthusiasts. The fact that a Tekno is a better product isn't enough of a factor to them, whereas for us more serious enthusiasts it is. Same with kids. They don't likely appreciate the qualities of a MT410 compared to a Slash that looks cool, goes fast and has sounds etc. I mean, there is nothing wrong with that. People have different levels of interest and commitment to the hobby. I think by Traxxas getting so many casual fans, it still can be a positive for people to potentially want to get more involved in the hobby and maybe get a Tekno or something later down the line. Just trying to look at the positives here.

I am down to 3 traxxas trucks for bashing... They will be posted up for sale soon... sticking to racing and i think it's sill the crap that they are pulling personally. least for a hobby that has a bad limp as it walks already

I have no plans on selling my X-Maxx but it is the only Traxxas vehicle I have left, and I have owned most of their line up too the X-Maxx.

Recent Popular Liked

Back