• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Blasphemy...., but are there other wide chassis options for the EB48

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

Reaction score
I'm gonna say it, and I'm sure my political favor will drop here, but the chassis layout is crap. I'm sorry; it's just crap.

Aside from spending days trying to get the Nomad body mounts look like someone other than a six year old fabbed the partsfor my DB48, the chassis just sucks. Everything is crammed on one side and I hate it. The idea of silicone gluing a power switch to secure it's location for a $1200 rc platform is nonsense. Yeah, yeah, it's for racing. I get it. Rewind the clock and I would be working with a Losi or Team Associated.

Is there anywhere that sells a wide chassis for this? Something that will allow me to move the ESC to the other side of the driveshaft and have some friggin room to work.?? I have to make rock guards to fill the gap between the Nomad body and the chassis, or I'm sure this will fill with rocks and debris in short order.

There is no question that the quality is there; I love the fit and finish. A desert buggy this is not. Way too many layout issues to survive actual desert buggy stuff.

I think if not, I'm gonna pull electronics and scrap the Tekno into the parts bin and start over.

ideas?

If I am not mistaken there was a build thread on the DB48 with a detailed parts list.

Or is it that you are just frustrated with trying to put 10lbs of crap in a 5lb sack

You can use the SC nerf bars with cut down lexan air control guards to take up the space between the side of the chassis and the cage.

Yes, it's exactly this: "Or is it that you are just frustrated with trying to put 10lbs of crap in a 5lb sack.."

That is exactly what this feels like. I've read pretty much ever single piece of information about this conversion that the internet has to offer. I think that on the surface, this is a pretty neat idea. You are getting the Tekno quality and support for a unique desert buggy. The downside is getting the last 5% finished.

The body mounting has been vexing, but I'm almost there. You do run into the issue that while I think the Nomad body looks best, more than likely they will be long gone soon enough. I think a different body that will remain in production needs to be found, and I think maybe the Losi DB Pro body would be worth a try. But I want it mounted clean and professional, so that tell me another evolution of cutting plastic sheets until a final version is found, then making an STL file, and then 3d printing.

Next is the power switch. Tekin RX8 has sorta a short power switch; I can't find anywhere I want to mount. I like the mount on the front steering top plate, but doesn't reach, and the switch style is not ideal. I guess I could clip the wires and install a new switch with longer wires and make that happen.

Rock guards on the side are not too hard to fab, but I will need one protecting the ESC as well. With the ESC being mounted right behind the front right tire, I have a feeling that running through the sand and gravel is going to damage it quick without some kind of protection. I'm looking towards mounting some kind of mud flap on the cage, just behind the body panel.

I will give M2C a buzz today and ask about the chassis and get Looper's thoughts. What's another $150 at this point??

Last night when it cooled off, I powered up the DB48 and ran it around outside in the street for a few minutes, sans body. Moves like a spider monkey and feels pretty darn good. That Tekin Pro 4 HD on 3s is a beast. I'm running a 14 tooth pinion to start, but I will probably try out the 15 and 16 tooth pinions as well.

I believe most people are using the truggy chassis when making their rock racers. That's currently what I use with the AE cage.

I have my current setup with the EB48.2 chassis and not the SCT 410 chassis, and I like the length. One of the goals is to start our own U4 RC outlaw races in my local area, and the tracks will have some longer sections for speed, and I wanted to use the longer chassis for a bit more stability at speed.

I think you are right about the short arms though. I would need to see how wide that chassis is under the Nomad cage.

For now I will get the front body mount finished and then work on mud guards for the whole front end to protect the ESC. Then it will be time to hit the track. If it feels nice and planted, then I will keep fooling with the project and see what can be done about a new chassis.

If not, I'll post all the parts here for sale and start over.

Lemme throw this out there, just so I can say it; Tekno's with a wide chassis OEM option would be peas and carrots.

Give the end user a few options on layout, and it's game over. Just saying.

I have my current setup with the EB48.2 chassis and not the SCT 410 chassis, and I like the length. One of the goals is to start our own U4 RC outlaw races in my local area, and the tracks will have some longer sections for speed, and I wanted to use the longer chassis for a bit more stability at speed.

I think you are right about the short arms though. I would need to see how wide that chassis is under the Nomad cage.

For now I will get the front body mount finished and then work on mud guards for the whole front end to protect the ESC. Then it will be time to hit the track. If it feels nice and planted, then I will keep fooling with the project and see what can be done about a new chassis.

If not, I'll post all the parts here for sale and start over.

The EB48 and SCT410 chassis are the same length, the EB just has more/deeper cutouts. The ET48 chassis is the longer one.

At this point if we were to make a rock racer we would most likely base it off of the 2.0 platform. I'm not sure if the class is popular enough yet to warrant making our own vehicle. Losi is about to release A U4 based rig so maybe that will spark enough interest in the class.

Sorry Matt, I typed that wrong, I do have the ET chassis.

This is my build:

----Tekno Parts----

ET48 chassis - TKR5601
ET48 rear brace (optional) - TKR5362
1/8th front center driveshaft - TKR5191
ET48 rear center driveshaft - TKR5676A
1/8th Center diff outdrives - TKR5114XB
1/8th Diff couplers (2 needed) - TKR5075
ET48 ring gear (2 needed) - TKR5403 ( Not these - out of stock )
ET48 pinion gear (2 needed) - TKR540 ( Not these - out of stock )
SCT rear arms - TKR5530
SCT rear hubs - TKR5540B

Nomad DB8 cage - ASC89600
Nomad DB8 body panel set - ASC89605
Nomad DB8 driver cockpit - ASC89608
Nomad DB8 driver helmets - ASC89609
(Front and rear body mount set - ASC89579) I'm making my own. These are impossible to find.

Tekin Pro 4 DH
Tekin RX-8 ESC
Savox Servo

If you are waiting for U4 Rock Racing to make this happen, well it probably won't. I'm going to head out to SoCal when things start back up to learn what I can and see if there is a way to get some support for a Las Vegas race event, but I can't reach anybody at the organization. I don't use Facebook. My Nomad is ready, and if I get the DB48 sorted, I will take that as well.

I look at it more this way:

ARRMA is quickly closing the gap, and they offer many excellent base platforms. They will never race with a Tekno / Losi / ect on the track, but looking at the tea leaves, I'm not sure racing is actually growing. Bashing sure is, leaps and bounds.

If Tekno offered a few wide-body chassis options that would allow a bit more bashing, a bit wider foot print to fit electronics in various locations, and some various body mounts for the shock towers to help body / cage fits, then it would open up more options for the end user such as Rock Racing, Bashing, and general mayhem. Having a $200 ESC eat everything off the front right tire is nuts.

I'm on the fence about the Typhon 6s. Does what I want, but It has a layout I don't care for. For $500, it might just work well enough.

EB48 is a no-go for the same reasons above, so I will either get the Losi 8xe or RC83.2e and build it to run 6s. I want a speed buggy for short grass and gravel; not bashing.

I will keep an eye out for that new Losi, but it it's not from the TLR line, I'm not sure. I absolutely hate the virtual wall of Horizon Hobbies. Once they buy up a company, you can't reach out to any of people there with tech questions. That's super frustrating.

Let me also put it this way, if Tekno had the chassis options, I would only own Tekno platforms ( outside of my crawlers).

Old post I know, but...

I just ordered that M2C chassis (6825), and an SCT410.3 kit + drivetrain components for a DB48 build.

I have a Losi Lasernut U4 - and a Rock Rey, and a Bomber - but none of them are doing the job (U4 type running) well.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks, when everything arrives and I'm able to get it built!

Where do you people find the limited production, almost immediately discontinued associated nomad parts to build these conversions?

Recent Popular Liked

Back