• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Best battery connector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slogrits

Reaction score
Driving Style
Basher
Having a couple of issues with xt90 connectors. Have one that comes loose. One that won’t come loose, getting ready to cut it off the battery and esc. While the esc is free what connectors should I use? Hate how hard it is to solder the xt90s. Looking at xt150s. Any thoughts?

Having a couple of issues with xt90 connectors. Have one that comes loose. One that won’t come loose, getting ready to cut it off the battery and esc. While the esc is free what connectors should I use? Hate how hard it is to solder the xt90s. Looking at xt150s. Any thoughts?

I have been using ec5 on my 4s and they seem to work really well for me.

I've gone back and forth over the years and what I've learned is that all connectors will fail over time. I have come to accept that they need to be replaced every 6 months to a year to get the best results.

For a while I was pretty excited about EC5 and I think they are excellent, but not all brands of EC5 are the same, you have to be careful on how they fasten and can ruin a connector if you over solder past the retaining lip of the bullet so they're not exactly foolproof.

My current source for battery packs is limited to Deans and it's just as convenient for me to stick with what's been pretty much the industry standard for decades so I continue to use Deans. They have served me well with up to 6S power without any issues.

I use XT150 in all of my cars except for my mini revo and I love them. They are easy to solder. They are independent connectors so you don't have to worry about shorting the connector when soldering and I have mine set up so that the positive and negative connectors can plug into each other so that I can run my batteries in series without Y adapters or anything.

I watched a video on how to solder xt150s and I liked how you can solder and then slide the plastic sleeve over the connector. No pins getting loose from overheating like the xt90s.

I watched a video on how to solder xt150s and I liked how you can solder and then slide the plastic sleeve over the connector. No pins getting loose from overheating like the xt90s.
Yea, that is another plus. The only bad that I can think of is that with how I have mine soldered up for easy series connecting can be disastrous if the negative and positive from the same battery plug into one another. All I do is I bought extra XT150 connectors and I made connector caps to protect them when not in use.

I use the big 6.5mm castle connectors, the are super nice and easy to solder, much easier than XTs. if you have just about any type of barrel connector (except genuine "bird cage" ec5) that are too loose or too tight you can tweak them with a hex screwdriver for a better fit. if it's too loose put the screwdriver in the middle of the Male end and slightly tweak a few of the "flanges" outward a hair. It only takes a tiny bit to get a lot of result. Same with too loose, just put the screwdriver tip on the outside and very slightly bend a few inwards instead. I've done that with a few connectors to get them to feel consistent with the friction.

I like the larger bullet connectors as well as the XT90/150's.

I use EC5's as that's what I use on all my heli's. Majority of heli flyers use EC5's so I just use them across the board to maintain consistency. Never had an issue soldering them and actually find them pretty easy to use. I've tried XT60/90's, but considering I have a bag of like 100 EC5 connectors. . won't be changing from them anytime soon.

Key to soldering EC5 is to not overfill the cup with solder. I usually strip about 1/8" from the wire, tin it, then fill the cup about 1/2 way with solder, and then bring the wire near the tip of the iron and then just plunge it into the cup. Hold it there for a few seconds and you have a nice solid connection. I then use an EC5 tool from Progressive RC to tap the barrel into the connector. If you do end up getting solder on the outside of the cup, just use some desoldering braid and it cleans up nicely.

I use the big 6.5mm castle connectors, the are super nice and easy to solder, much easier than XTs.
When you say that they are much easier than the XTs, do you mean the XT90s and not the XT150s? I agree the XT90s are more of a pain for soldering but still worlds better than Traxxas or Deans in my opinion. I think that in terms of soldering the XT150 and Castle bullets are the same for difficulty. Just that the XT150 nylon is two pieces that come apart where the Castle connectors are a one piece design.

When you say that they are much easier than the XTs, do you mean the XT90s and not the XT150s? I agree the XT90s are more of a pain for soldering but still worlds better than Traxxas or Deans in my opinion. I think that in terms of soldering the XT150 and Castle bullets are the same for difficulty. Just that the XT150 nylon is two pieces that come apart where the Castle connectors are a one piece design.

yeah XT90's, ive never used XT150s.

My dad just put xt150s on his MT410. He was abel to solder them with ease. They are easy to attach and detach. I like them a lot.

My dad just put xt150s on his MT410. He was abel to solder them with ease. They are easy to attach and detach. I like them a lot.

I may have to look into those. The main reason I use the ec5 is because the temp esc and motor I got had them on it already LOL!

I use to have multiple connectors. Traxxas, xt90, and deans. I wanted to switch them all to one style of connector and thought if im gonna do all the work of soldering up new connectors to my 6 rc's and 15 lipos. I might as well just switch them all to something that i wont outgrow. I went with xt150's and am super happy with them. I dont need a y-connector to run 2 packs in series, and they can handle a ton of current. I feel they are one of the best connectors on the market. There super easy to solder, and i mean super easy. They are cheap, way cheaper that Castle 6.5's. You can pick up a pack of 5 for around 4 bucks, male or female.

Yea went with xt150s. My dad has loaded up his rig. I have not yet. He is happy with them. Easy to solder I had to help him each time with the xt90s. He had everything done within a hour of getting them.

I’m considering using XT150s but am having trouble finding a parallel board to charge from. What parallel boards are recommended for high current connectors?

I’m considering using XT150s but am having trouble finding a parallel board to charge from. What parallel boards are recommended for high current connectors?
I wasn't able to find parallel boards for the XT150 connectors. My guess is since there really isn't a "standard" way of configuring them, that you probably won't find them. I used the stuff below for all of my parallel charging.

https://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-bare-charge-cable.html
https://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-balance-adapter.html

I use the 6.5mm castle connectors. Super beefy and easy to solder. I use 12 gauge wire but they will accept up to 8 or even 6 gauge. Best connectors I've used..

Recent Popular Liked

Back