• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

4s vs 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El-Heffe

Reaction score
I've found two really good threads on this and I hate to post again but maybe I'm overthinking things!

It seems like two very solid options are:
Castle Mamba Monster X with the 1515 2200KV motor 16t pinion
or
Hobbywing XR8 with the 4268D 1600kv motor 15t pinion

Price for both those kits is the same, so is there anything other than brand loyalty to push me one way or the other? I'd think I'd get longer run times on 6s, so I'm more inclined to go that way but it seems like most on the forums are 4s?

My use case is solely back yard bashing. My needs are extreme as I mostly run a Losi 5ive 12S brushless system. (MGM/Lehner) but I'm hoping this kit can bring me back to the fun times I had with my first RC (HPI Bullet Flux ST)

Last edited:
Those are two very different combos.

You first need to decide on the battery, if you’re not racing then 6s can make sense. I personally run 4s only but am very conservative on power in order to prioritize durability.

If you’re going 6s, you’ll want a large Truggy can 4076 or 4274 and kv range in the 1700 to 1800kv. The HW combo you mentioned is a 68mm buggy can.

I personally like the Castle electronics, but would not bother with their sensored motor and would just pick a Hobbystar motor. Cheap motors on ebay work great too.

I've found two really good threads on this and I hate to post again but maybe I'm overthinking things!

It seems like two very solid options are:
Castle Mamba Monster X with the 1515 2200KV motor 16t pinion
or
Hobbywing XR8 with the 4268D 1600kv motor 15t pinion

Price for both those kits is the same, so is there anything other than brand loyalty to push me one way or the other? I'd think I'd get longer run times on 6s, so I'm more inclined to go that way but it seems like most on the forums are 4s?

My use case is solely back yard bashing. My needs are extreme as I mostly run a Losi 5ive 12S brushless system. (MGM/Lehner) but I'm hoping this kit can bring me back to the fun times I had with my first RC (HPI Bullet Flux ST)

i have the MMX 2200 kv combo with 15t pinion in my et48.3 on 6s it’s crazy and run times are short and temps can start to get high when running hard. I mostly run 4s run times are longer and car handles an feels better to me. I love this set up for my uses

I also have MMX with a cheeper 1900 kv none sensored motor in my Traxxas summit run times are nice and long. Temps are lower

i can’t speak on the hobby wing stuff as I only run castle. But if I would do it agin I wouldstill get the MMX esc and a cheap motor in whatever kv rating fits your battery set up and terrain.

I thought I needed the sensored motor. But looking back my rock crawlers are the only thing I think has to be sensored. Unless it’s a competitive race only rig.

Thank you both for your replies. I decided to do with the Max8 and the 4274 2200KV. It seems like a popular option that many are happy with. I have no doubt the MMX would be awesome too (and I've always had goo experiences with them). I'm looking forward to finishing my build and getting the truck running!

Recent Popular Liked

Back