• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

2600kv hobbywing what size pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhills42

Reaction score
Just ran 2 pack packs in the new mt. I have a honbywing 4268 2600kv with a 17t pinion. Motor gets a bit warm to the touch. Am I running the right size and if not should I go up or down?

Esc
Tekin rx8 gen3
Motor
HW 2600kv
Battery
2 stacked 2s =4s
Tires
3.8 backflips

Might be a good idea to take it down a notch or two. I have a 16t on my HW 4272 2200kv and it really moves, and heat is reasonable. I haven’t used a temp gun on it but I can keep my fingers on it for several seconds.

Last edited:
I think it’s geared too high. For a high kv like 2600kv, I think it should be on a 14 or 15 tooth pinion.

That motor isn’t really ideal for the MT410, it’s designed for 1/8 racing buggies which are lighter than an MT.

The best motor that is easily available is the 4074 2200kv by Hobbywing.

I think it’s geared too high. For a high kv like 2600kv, I think it should be on a 14 or 15 tooth pinion.

That motor isn’t really ideal for the MT410, it’s designed for 1/8 racing buggies which are lighter than an MT.

The best motor that is easily available is the 4074 2200kv by Hobbywing.

Gunna have to disagree with you on this one. My friend has the 4074 in his MT and I have the 1520 which is essentially a 4289. This 4289 is a BEAST and stays cool all the time for all day bashing. I run 23T pinion.

The 4289 will pummel the hobbywing you mention! I run it on 4s and never seen over 130f. Can you say double standing blackflips? lol

I've paired it with the mamba monster X esc because it has an auxilary wire which allows me to adjust torque control on the fly with the transmitter. This is an essential feature so I can let others drive the car without worrying about them launching it off to the moon.

Gunna have to disagree with you on this one. My friend has the 4074 in his MT and I have the 1520 which is essentially a 4289. This 4289 is a BEAST and stays cool all the time for all day bashing. I run 23T pinion.

The 4289 will pummel the hobbywing you mention! I run it on 4s and never seen over 130f. Can you say double standing blackflips? lol

I've paired it with the mamba monster X esc because it has an auxilary wire which allows me to adjust torque control on the fly with the transmitter. This is an essential feature so I can let others drive the car without worrying about them launching it off to the moon.
Sound a little overkill perhaps, plus that power system will be heavier no doubt.

Sound a little overkill perhaps, plus that power system will be heavier no doubt.

Yeah, you're probably right. From a temp standpoint, it's the best motor I have ever used and remains cool no matter what conditions you drive in.
However, the KV is a little on the low side for 4s and top-end is lacking, even with 23T compared to the smaller, higher KV motors.

It really depends where you drive it though, but temp wise...there is no better option :)

Yeah, you're probably right. From a temp standpoint, it's the best motor I have ever used and remains cool no matter what conditions you drive in.
However, the KV is a little on the low side for 4s and top-end is lacking, even with 23T compared to the smaller, higher KV motors.

It really depends where you drive it though, but temp wise...there is no better option :)
I see what you mean. When I had a TP power 40x92mm motor in my ET48, it ran cool even on tall gearing, throughout a 6S run. But it had too much power/torque and the drivetrain didn't like it too much!

Recent Popular Liked

Back